Yes, that’s right, I find it the dreaded chore! Hate packing, despise packing, dread packing! There I feel a little better 🙂 At this moment I have just finished packing for our trip to Hawaii. It took me all day and I really don’t understand. To say nothing of, that I have read blogs and help articles about packing only what you need, travel with just a carry on, blah, blah, blah. Despite all this great advice, I still have issues.
To tell the truth, I admit it, I can do it like the pros. Such as, six days to London and Paris with a carry on and I was fine and
survived, I probably could do it again if forced. However, when it’s any longer of a trip, like this Hawaii trip (20 days) everything that I have learned goes out the door. Because I want to bring my entire closet. You never know what you are going to need. To add to all this pressure is social media. Who wants to be caught wearing the same thing you wore the last trip and have it posted all over the Internet? The stress!
As a matter of fact, my Husband thinks I’m crazy, but he is actually using the same size suitcase I am today. So even men can go through this packing dilemma. Learning not to panic and feel guilty over this unavoidable task is a work in progress for me. How I have helped myself with this matter is I ask myself a few questions before packing:
By the way, here’s a few BIG recommendations/tricks
Packing cubes: If you haven’t tried them, you should! That is to say, helps you keep so organized while traveling.
Luggage Scale: No worries or hassle when you get to the airport if you already know what how much your luggage ways. This is especially helpful to me on the way back because I tend to shop…a little. Bring it with you!
Extra duffle bag: this can be rolled or folded tight in your suitcase on the way to your destination. On the trip back use it for your dirty clothes or if you are like me, the shopping items I purchased.
Waterproof Toiletry bags: nothing worse then something opening up in your luggage and ruining all your clothes! Waterproof is really important!
With this being said, I don’t leave home without any of these items. Check them out right here, by clicking on the images:
Questions I need to have answers to before packing
1. Will we be going on trains? Trains are a deal breaker on bringing too much luggage. Trust me on this one, especially if you have to go up and under railroad stairways. There is really no one to help you, so rule of thumb; you can’t carry it yourself don’t bring it.
2. Size of the rental car? Make sure you ask the size and what it can hold, take that information and go down a couple of suitcases because I don’t care if the word SUV is attached to the name of the car, it is never as big as you expect.
3. What is the weight allowance for each bag and how many allowed? This can hinder you depending on the airline(s). If you are flying on international airlines you need to check their restrictions, they sometimes have more than we do here in the US. There is nothing worse then being over in Europe and finding out you have a problem. I speak from experience.
4. What is the hotel room size? Rooms in different countries can be totally new experiences for some. For example, my Mother went on a trip one time where when she opened the door she hit the bed. You can tell by that sentence; “Houston we have a problem”
5. Airport transfers- hence, make sure they have room for the size of your bags and amount of bags. In the past I have had to sit on luggage, makes that hour ride to the hotel a little uncomfortable.
If I can answer all with a thumbs up…
In that case, then I’m good. Then I pack what I want. So what if the valet can’t lift my bag out of the car. The bell boy shouldn’t complain, it’s on wheels at least. Last but not least, my husband doesn’t complain as long as I move my luggage to a part of the room where he isn’t constantly tripping over it. The most important, I have options with my outfits!